We're Carbon Neutral.
ChooseWell Uk Ltd is proud to announce that we’ve recently been certified by Carbon Neutral Birtain, as a Carbon Neutral company, covering scope 1 and 2 emissions Scope 3 indirect emissions including business travel, commuting, waste, water and delivery based emissions. Our aim has always to been to tread lightly on the planet and we’ve done this by measuring our CO2 emissions, striving to reduce them, and only after we’ve done this by offsetting the remaining emissions.
Climate change is impacting our planet. We’re seeing changes in rainfall patterns, increased temperatures, drought and more extreme weather events and that’s why we support charities such as Just a Drop and Just One Tree who help to counteract the harmful effects of climate change.
One of the biggest drivers of climate change is the volume of greenhouse gases – particularly carbon dioxide – emitted into the atmosphere, so as a responsible business it’s only right that we have measured our carbon footprint, taken steps to reduce it and then as a final step, mitigated the carbon we produce through accredited schemes.
Our carbon footprint
We measured the carbon footprint our business using the Carbon Trusts defined methodology for self-assessment, which uses the GHG Protocol Guidelines and can report that we used 3.25 (kgCOSe) throughout 2021.
Our Business Carbon Footprint includes all emissions from our own business operations at our registered company office and it includes purchased electricity and gas, transportation and scope 3 indirect emissions such as
Scope 3 direct emissions, as defined by the GHG Protocol include the embodied energy in the manufacturing and distribution of the products. According to both the Plan A Academy and Edie, Scope 3 emissions are harder to measure and can constitute 80% of a companies overall impact on the environment when you take into account the entire lifecycle of the products they produce. Our total business carbon footprint (based on data from the 2021 calendar year) is therefore estimated to be 16.25 (kgCOSe)
Reducing our emissions
We have plans in place to ensure we continue to minimise our own operational emissions. Some of the ways we’ve worked to minimise our footprint are as follows:
- Solar panels at our registered office address 33kw producing over 6,540 kWh of electricity per year. The factory is heated by a Biomass Boiler which uses FSC wood chips as fuel.
- Our electricity contract has been changes to a 100% renewable tariff since 2018 and we do not use gas
- We use ultra-efficient air source heat pump to heat our registered office building
- When we have to use a car for business, we use Battery Hybrid Electric Vehicle (BEHV)
Over and above this we review our third-party service providers to ensure we are choosing suppliers that are also engaged in reducing the impact of scope three emissions resulting from our supply chain partners activities.
- We assess the numerous parcel delivery providers in the UK against several criteria, including quality, reliability and their commitment to Nett Zero. The delivery industry by its very nature is one which needs to mitigate its carbon footprint and any measures to reduce carbon emissions will inevitably take a commitment from the top down, investment in greener transport solutions and time. . We use DPD where we can to deliver all our parcels nationwide. They are the UK's premier carbon neutral courier, and have just committed to replacing 550 of their vehicles with electric only. While the switch over to electric takes place, the company currently offset their carbon emissions which means that although they still run a large fleet of diesel vehicles, overall the service is carbon neutral. So while you may still see a diesel van pull up outside your house, you can rest assured that any carbon dioxide produced is offset and that longer-term DPD have their sights set on eradicating delivery emissions completely.
- We also use the Royal Mail who are reported to “offer the lowest emissions per parcel of any major UK delivery company” and have made a commitment to becoming carbon neutral.
- We use Spectra, a UK based manufacturer of bottles who not only supply our 100% recycled bottles, but have made a “Zero to Landfill” commitment in their quest to minimise our carbon footprint.
Balancing the emissions we can’t avoid
To balance or ‘offset’ our remaining emissions, we’ve invested in carbon offsetting projects that are certified to the highest standards through the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), Gold Standard Voluntary Emission Reductions (VER) and Certified Emission Reductions (CER) programmes. We’ve worked with Carbon Neutral Britain who fund projects in the developing world that help provide education, employment, clean water, energy and a positive impact on the local wildlife and ecology.
We are proud to have achieved Carbon Neutral Status and will continue to work in a way that helps people and the planet.